FXCM, has announced it is proposing to merge with and acquire Gain Capital Holdings LLC (“GAIN”) (NYSE: GCAP)
Proposed Acquisition Highlights:
- Would create an industry leader with potentially significant benefits of improved scale economics
- Pro forma 2012 revenues of ~$569 million, client assets of ~$1.6 billion(1) and estimated post-synergy run-rate Adjusted EBITDA of between ~$163 and ~$183 million(2)
- Potential significant operating synergies which can potentially drive between $50 and $70 million in incremental run-rate EBITDA once integration is complete
- Potential capital synergies could result in the release of between $80 and $100 million in currently restricted cash
- Projected to be accretive in 2014 after excluding one-time restructuring cost
“FXCM believes that the substantial potential operating and capital synergies between the two companies would result in an accretive deal with a strong growth profile and improved economies of scale”
The proposal was communicated this evening in a letter from FXCM to Gain’s Board of Directors, to inform them of FXCM’s desire to reach agreement on a transaction that would create the industry leader in online FX trading.
“FXCM believes that the substantial potential operating and capital synergies between the two companies would result in an accretive deal with a strong growth profile and improved economies of scale,” said Drew Niv, CEO of FXCM. “Additionally, FXCM believes customers of both FXCM and Gain will greatly benefit from the expected improvement of financial strength and stability of the combined entity.”
“This proposed merger is the highest priority for FXCM, and we hope that Gain is as excited as we are about the potential a combined company could have.”
The proposed transaction would give Gain shareholders 0.3996 shares of FXCM Class A common stock for each share of Gain common stock. Based on FXCM’s closing price of $13.39 on Monday, April 8, 2013, this results in an offer price of $5.35 per share of Gain common stock, which in aggregate would represent $210.4 million in total value. This price represents a 25% premium to Gain’s closing share price on April 8, 2013. FXCM is also prepared to offer up to $50 million in cash consideration in lieu of FXCM shares.
About FXCM Inc.
FXCM Inc. (NYSE: FXCM) is a global online provider of foreign exchange, or FX, trading and related services to retail and institutional customers world-wide.
At the heart of FXCM’s client offering is No Dealing Desk FX trading. Clients benefit from FXCM’s large network of forex liquidity providers enabling FXCM to offer competitive spreads on major currency pairs. Clients have the advantage of mobile trading, one-click order execution and trading from real-time charts. FXCM’s U.K. subsidiary, Forex Capital Markets Limited, offers Contract for Difference (“CFD”) products with no re-quote trading and allows clients to trade oil, gold, silver and stock indices along with FX on one platform. In addition, FXCM offers educational courses on FX trading and provides free news and market research through DailyFX.com.